My initial test was to control a single servo by rotating an object. This was the result (sorry for the bad quality). It can control it with either a key-framed animation (as seen in the first part of the video) or in real time by moving the mouse (as seen in the latter half).
This was accomplished using Blender, Python, and an Arduino. Blender 2.49 has a Python interpreter built into the program itself. It is able to read (and write) values from the 3D space (along with numerous other features). Blender can also be set to call a script any time the 3D space is updated (ie something moved, rotated, ect). So I attached a script to Blenders update call back. Any time the object was moved, the Python code would get the object, read its Z(?) rotation, and send it out the USB port. By default Python cannot write to the port, but the pySerial module for Python allows it to write to a serial port (I believe for Windows, pyWin32 is also needed). The Arduino driver code makes the USB port look like a serial port. Thus, Python could write (and read if needed) values to the Arduino over the serial port. (There are numerous examples online of having Python and the Arduino communicate). Python would write the angles of the object anytime it was updated. As soon as the Arduino got these values, it would rotate the server to this angle. The Arduino used the Servo library to control the servo.
I did not save the code to the above example, but I through together some code that is probably pretty close. Here is the Python code that would run in Blender 2.49. Here is the code for the arduino.
Moving on to Bigger and Better Things
Before I was sure I would be able to control multiple servos, I set up a few tests. Much to my
From the code posted above, its not hard at all to make this work with multiple servos. Its a matter of getting multiple object's rotation, sending all of them, and having the arduino know which angle is for which servo.This could easily be done by always sending angle A, B, and then C, then the arduino would know A goes with servo X, B goes with servo Y, and so on. However, with mine, I made it a little differently. I would send a number and then an angle. That way the arduino gets two numbers, the first to indicate which servo, and the second is the angle.
I also added the feature to enable and disable joints. This helped when debugging individual servos. It also has an offset for each joint. The 3D arm is in a default position, when the actual arm starts up, it goes to this same position. That allows the offsets to provide a means of calibration.
Here is the blender file used. It contains the Python code and the 3D arm rigged with inverse kinematics. Here is the arduino code that works with it.
Not a whole lot to explain. It would be best to download the blender file just above and play around with it. Its just simple modeling and rigging (parenting, bones, etc.). Below is some demonstration of the rigging.
For the construction of the arm I used aluminum. (Not only is aluminum light, it is also pretty easy to work with). Hobby servos are usually pretty cheap but the stronger you need, the more expensive. Since this arm has 3 pivots, a gripper, and a rotating base, the lower joints had to be extra strong. For the lowest joint I used 2 HiTec HS-645MG servos (kind of expensive). They worked together to provide sufficient torque. For the next joint up I used one HS-645MG. For the grippers joint, I used a HiTec HS-422. For the gripper I used the HS-422 to power a gripper. For the base (to let it rotate left and rigt), I used use another HS-645MG. Here it is half way constructed.
Another major part was the electronics. I used a roboduino (an offshoot of the Arduino made for servo control). In total there were 6 servos, and they all could be moving at the same time, some of them under a decent load. The issue was that the arduino is not capable of handling that much current, even powered off of an external supply. The boards circuits are two small. (Some of the larger servos used can draw almost 1 amp). So I built an AC to DC converter and used regulators for the servos. I also powered my arduino from the regulated voltage. The servo's power would come directly from the converter, not through the arduino. The black box in the pictures housed all the electronics. Pictures below.
(I'll eventually add a video with it fully complete...someday...)